I’m available now for writing, content editing, audience development and fundraising.
I write about arts and culture, for various places including The Wire and Corridor 8. I’ve just finished editing a major book, Excavate: The Wonderful and Frightening World of The Fall, for Faber which will come out next year.
Sometimes I write essays about anxiety and parenthood, and sometimes I write about Wayne’s World (there’s more overlap than you might think.)
Last year I published a boxed artists book with Wysing Arts Centre, called The Fields Here Are Full of Ghosts. This was exhibited in their 30th anniversary exhibition, which also featured Elizabeth Price, Tai Shani, Heather Phillipson and more. You can see more about this, and buy it as an edition, here.
I’m available now for freelance writing, editing and research commissions. Here are some quick links to recent writing:
- An essay about time in the pandemic, for Tribune
- A review of All At Once, an online exhibition, for The Wire
- A review of the Frances Disley exhibition at Humber Street Gallery in Hull
- An accompanying short text for Sour Persimmons Chasm, an all-star group show at Andy Holden’s gallery Ex-Baldessarre
- An interview with the excellent Ravioli Me Away for The Wire
- A longer read – here’s an essay about “baby brain” and how I found its stupidity weirdly enriching, for Doggerland journal (99p ebook – also recommend the other essays)
- And an essay about Stacy from Wayne’s World and radical vulnerability in the Bad Vibes Club Reader
Audience development and fundraising
I’ve worked in charities and arts organisations for many years, and now I also work on a freelance basis, writing content, and working on audience development, fundraising and communciations. I’m also on the board at LUX, the artists’ film organisation. Recently, I’ve been working with people like The Modernist Society and Siobhan Davies Dance / BALTIC on audience development and content strategy. If this sounds like something you’d like help with, get in touch.
I’m based in West Yorkshire and when we’re not in lockdown I’m in London, Manchester, Leeds, etc regularly.
A full CV and further portfolio is available on request.