I was a Jerwood Arts Digital Fellow at FACT Liverpool for 2020-21, working on a new commission which you can see in the exhibition Let The Song Hold Us, opening March 2022.
My first book, which I’ve co-edited with Bob Stanley, is Excavate: The Wonderful and Frightening World of The Fall (Faber, April 2021). My essay is about alternative education, Beuys and Black Mountain College, as well as The Fall.
My artists publication, The Fields Here Are Full of Ghosts, was published by Wysing Arts Centre in 2019 and exhibited in their 30th anniversary exhibition, which also featured Elizabeth Price, Tai Shani, Heather Phillipson and more. You can see more about this, and buy it as an edition, here.
I also write about arts and culture, for various places, recently including The Wire, Tribune and Corridor 8.
I’m available for freelance writing, editing/proofreading and research commissions. Some quick links to recent work:
- An essay about time in the pandemic, for Tribune
- A review of All At Once, an online exhibition, for The Wire
- A review of the Frances Disley exhibition at Humber Street Gallery in Hull
- An accompanying short text for Sour Persimmons Chasm, an all-star group show at Andy Holden’s gallery Ex-Baldessarre
- An interview with the excellent Ravioli Me Away for The Wire
- A longer read – here’s an essay about “baby brain” and how I found its stupidity weirdly enriching, for Doggerland journal (99p ebook – also recommend the other essays)
- And an essay about Stacy from Wayne’s World and radical vulnerability in the Bad Vibes Club Reader
Audience development, content, editing, fundraising
I also work on a freelance basis, writing and editing content, and working on audience development, fundraising and communications. I’m also on the board at LUX, the artists’ film organisation.
I’ve worked at arts organisations like Cecil Sharp House, as well as the London School of Economics and various charities. Recently, I’ve been working freelance in the arts on mentoring, audience development, editing and content strategy and I’m currently a maternity cover Head of Communications at Northern Ballet. Past/current clients include: Yorkshire Sculpture International, Corridor 8, NYMAZ, Arts Marketing Association, The Modernist Society, Siobhan Davies Dance, BALTIC, Heavenly Records, Andy Holden, Slimvolume.
I’ve got to be honest, I’m pretty booked up until late Spring/early Summer 2022 and using most of my spare capacity to write. But if any of this sounds like something you’d like help with, it still can’t hurt to get in touch.