I’m available now for writing, content editing, audience development and fundraising.
I’m currently a Jerwood Arts fellow at FACT Liverpool, working on a new commission. My first book, which I’ve co-edited with Bob Stanley, is Excavate: The Wonderful and Frightening World of The Fall. (Faber, April 2021.)
My artists publication, The Fields Here Are Full of Ghosts, was published by Wysing Arts Centre in 2019 and exhibited in their 30th anniversary exhibition, which also featured Elizabeth Price, Tai Shani, Heather Phillipson and more. You can see more about this, and buy it as an edition, here.
I also write about arts and culture, for various places, recently including The Wire, Tribune and Corridor 8.
I’m available now for freelance writing, editing/proofreading and research commissions. Here are some quick links to recent writing:
- An essay about time in the pandemic, for Tribune
- A review of All At Once, an online exhibition, for The Wire
- A review of the Frances Disley exhibition at Humber Street Gallery in Hull
- An accompanying short text for Sour Persimmons Chasm, an all-star group show at Andy Holden’s gallery Ex-Baldessarre
- An interview with the excellent Ravioli Me Away for The Wire
- A longer read – here’s an essay about “baby brain” and how I found its stupidity weirdly enriching, for Doggerland journal (99p ebook – also recommend the other essays)
- And an essay about Stacy from Wayne’s World and radical vulnerability in the Bad Vibes Club Reader
Audience development, communications and fundraising
I’ve worked in charities and arts organisations for many years, and now I also work on a freelance basis, writing and editing content, and working on audience development, fundraising and communciations. I’m also on the board at LUX, the artists’ film organisation. Recently, I’ve been working with arts organisations like The Modernist Society and Siobhan Davies Dance / BALTIC on audience development and content strategy. If this sounds like something you’d like help with, get in touch.
I’m based in West Yorkshire and when we’re not in lockdown I’m in London, Manchester, Leeds, etc regularly.
A full CV and further portfolio is available on request.